The American College of Surgeons (ACS) has again verified University Hospital as a Level I trauma center. The distinction confirms that the hospital maintains the highest-quality trauma care for all injured patients. It is a critically important resource for the community and all of South Texas, capable of providing total care for every aspect of trauma — from prevention through rehabilitation.
Elements of Level I Trauma Centers include:
• 24-hour in-house coverage by general surgeons, and prompt availability of care in specialties such as orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery, anesthesiology, emergency medicine, radiology, internal medicine, plastic surgery, oral and maxillofacial surgery and pediatric and adult critical care.
• Referral resource for hospitals across the region
• Provides leadership in trauma prevention and education for the community
• Provides continuing education for trauma team members
• Incorporates a comprehensive quality assessment program
• Operates an organized teaching and research effort to help direct new innovations in trauma care
• Program for substance abuse screening and patient intervention
• Meets minimum requirement for annual volume of severely injured patients
University Hospital’s verification as a Level I trauma center follows a rigorous process including a review and site visit, and the current verification extends through December 17, 2022.
“Our continued ACS recognition is proof of our commitment to providing the highest level of care for serious injuries in Bexar County and South Texas,” said University Hospital Administrator Michael Roussos. “We’re proud our community will continue to rely on this assurance of leadership and excellence.”
The American College of Surgeons is a scientific and educational association of surgeons founded in 1913 to raise the standards of surgical education and practice, and to improve the care of the surgical patient. The College has more than 72,000 members and is the largest association of surgeons in the world. Its Committee on Trauma’s Consultation/Verification Program for Hospitals was established in 1987.